Around the Big Island: A weekend in Paradise!

So you have just won a raffle for a $1,000 gift certificate to a travel agency.  Where do you go?

So this happened to me in late 2008.  And I asked myself that same question.

I had been going back and forth with my friend Harry about going on a long weekend trip to Vegas or someplace, but since I had this extra $1,000, I figured we could try someplace a bit more exotic for about the same out of pocket cost.

Being in the USA, we originally looked at Mexico or the Caribbean.  The Caribbean was still a bit more money to fly there since my friend and I are western US located.  Mexico looked promising, but since Harry had some health issues that gave me pause in travelling outside the US.

Since this was now 2009, and the US economy was falling off a cliff, I wondered if that would make a place like Hawaii less expensive.  Checked with the travel agency and the packages to Hawaii were indeed a better deal.  We were able to get 3 nights/4 days in Hawaii with flight, hotel and car for both of us for right around $1,400.  So $200 each out of pocket for a long weekend in Hawaii!! (Not counting meals and misc expenses, but those are personal in nature, and to each his own).

So we booked a trip to the Big Island in Hawaii for July of 2009.

For the 2nd time now I decided to keep a travel log/journal of the trip, and toted my handy logbook along and wrote in it as time permitted.

After almost 10 years now, I have finally put those words online in this blog.

So hopefully you will enjoy our short but busy trip around the island.

Chris

[2019 NOTE:  I have kept the wording and narrative as close to the original hand written content as possible, only making a few corrections and updates for clarity and flow.]

No comments:

Post a Comment